All ideas have value. If you have an idea for a new business or social enterprise which can bring benefit to our region, you or your group can win $500 cash for sharing this idea with a FastStart panel of judges.
- Agriculture and Food
- Information Technology & media
- The Environment
You can register for this competition as a single applicant or as a group.
The competition has two stages:
- STEP ONE – Submit your proposal in writing (following FastStart application guidelines)
- STEP TWO – A Judging panel will review all applications and narrow down the new enterprise ideas to a “Short-list” of 3-5 proposals for each industry area (areas listed above)
- STEP THREE – Those applicants who make the short-list will be asked to “pitch” their idea to the FastStart Judging panel, and answer any questions that the judges may have. The judges will determine the three winning ideas for new enterprises.
Launch: December 14, 2015
Application Deadline: January 18, 2016
Judges selection of short list to Pitch: January 25, 2016
Pitches: Week of February 1, 2016
Section I – Applicant Eligibility
- All applicants must be registered as students at one of the four FastStart post-secondary institutions. These institutions are Durham College, Fleming College, Trent University, and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).
- Applicants must be between 18 and 29 years old.
- Applications can be made by a single individual or a group. There is no set limitation on group size, but it is recommended that the maximum group size, be the size of a class-room wishing to register their idea for a new enterprise. If a total class/course registers in the competition, it will be acceptable that some of the course registrants do not meet the age specification (item 2 above).
Section II – The New enterprise idea and criteria for evaluation
- The proposed new enterprise can be either a “for profit” business or a “not-for-profit” social enterprise.
- The proposed new enterprise must bring value to our FastStart region. Value is defined by bringing economic and/or social benefits to the region (examples – new jobs, cost-effective means to address social issues, etc.) FastStart Region: Our FastStart region is the core territory serviced by the four FastStart institutions including the region of Durham, the Greater Peterborough area, the City of Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland County, Haliburton County
- The new enterprise must have some element of innovation – a new, never-been done before (in our region or in a wider geography) product, technology or service.
- Demonstrate potential that a FastStart youth entrepreneur or group of FastStart entrepreneurs could form the new enterprise and launch it.
Submission Guidelines included on the SUBMISSION FORM
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED FORMS AS FOLLOWS
EMAIL WITH THE SUBJECT LINE: REGIONAL COMPETITION SUBMISSION FORM
SUBMISSION BY SCHOOL: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
TRENT U AND FLEMING STUDENTS: PLEASE SUBMIT TO: Javier.Bravo@flemingcollege.ca
DURHAM COLLEGE STUDENTS: PLEASE SUBMIT TO: Rebecca.Holmes@durhamcollege.ca
UOIT STUDENTS: PLEASE SUBMIT TO: Jeffrey.Peng@uoit.ca