We are Hiring: Innovation Specialist
The Innovation Cluster is seeking to fill the position of Innovation Specialist. See job description below. Interested applicants can apply through Indeed.
Title: Innovation Specialist – 15 Month Contract Position Job Description (Maternity Leave)
**Please submit a Cover Letter and Resume by February 7th, 2021, late applications will not be considered**
The Innovation Cluster- Peterborough and the Kawartha’s supports determined, innovative entrepreneurs in the formation of growth of their technology-driven companies. Focusing on four key sectors; Cleantech, Agriculture Tech, Healthcare and Digital the Innovation Cluster’s dynamic programming ensures that start-ups find their best path to market. The Innovation Cluster operates the Cube, Peterborough’s two full service business incubators located at downtown Peterborough as well as downtown City of Kawartha Lakes.*
The Innovation Specialist will take responsibility for the initial and ongoing assessment of Entrepreneur Client needs as a client-focused advisor and advocate. The Specialist will ensure the intake process is a beneficial and positive experience for all Innovation Cluster clients. Reporting to the President; this position will require collaboration across the internal team as well as within the entire ecosystem on behalf of the client and the client’s opportunity. The Specialist will encourage Entrepreneur Clients in a realistic and respectful manner; i.e. maintain the passion in the entrepreneur, but provide timely coaching potentially saving them unnecessary effort or resources. The Specialist will also coach, mentor, educate, and make connections for Entrepreneur Clients using a variety of resources within the Innovation Cluster, the Specialist’s own continually developing network, as well as appropriate and cost effective external resources. The Specialist will maintain responsibility for ongoing contact with Entrepreneur Clients but will work with and brief the Entrepreneur-in-Residence on a timely basis on any situational updates.
The position will also participate in the design iteration, and delivery of professional development programs for client entrepreneurs and researchers such as: Speakers Series, Go-To-Market Program, Power Breakfasts, Trade Shows, Post-Secondary Presentations, Virtual Events, the Women Breaking Barriers program and Entrepreneur Boot Camps on selected topics.
- Recruits and proactively manages a list of Entrepreneur Clients.
- Actively positions and promotes activities and programs that are a suitable fit for client development.
- Works closely with Knowledge Partners to ensure completed program enrollment connections.
- Provides pre- and post-program advice and ongoing support to program clients, including but not limited to referrals to other programs, Experts-in-Residence, and Knowledge Partners.
- Ensure action items previously agreed with an Entrepreneur Client are completed to the expected level, or otherwise manage a modified expectation level.
- Ensure activity handoff goes back to Entrepreneur Clients for full execution on the part of the Entrepreneur Client. Entrepreneur Clients take responsibly for their opportunity development; whereas the Specialist encourages, advises, coaches, connects, and always ensure the final decision rests with the clients.
- Ensure all interactions are documented in the Innovation Cluster CRM.
- Participate in moderated online forums, discussions, or social media platforms as required to promote the Innovation Cluster and other programs.
- Participate in Entrepreneur Client focus synchronization meetings giving detailed descriptions and updates as required; accepting action items or participating in follow-up meetings with other functional areas within the organization.
- Consistent with the general intention of this position, the Specialist will prepare presentation materials, deliver presentations, and speak on behalf of the Innovation Cluster.
- Work closely with the different regional economic development organizations and staff to screen and develop opportunities along with the Entrepreneur-in-Residence’s and Knowledge Partners.
- Collect timely, sincere testimonials in the manner specified by the Director and company policies and guidelines.
- Collect data and generate reports as required for company measurables.
- Create reports on assessments or perform other activities as required from time to time by the President.
- Passion for entrepreneurship.
- Past experience with startup companies, business coaching or academia programs.
- Business or technical degree with additional training/courses in business planning and financing.
- Preferred experience working in startups or providing support to startups.
- Preferred experience in business or commercialization needs-assessment.
- Proficiency interacting with and using digital technologies. Internet, technology and social media savvy.
- Evidence of strong organization, interpersonal and communications skills, and working relationships with others, both internal and external; demonstrated responsive and professional attitude.
- Able to take a project-based approach; independently plan, organize and prioritize and coordinate tasks to achieve goals in a timely and efficient manner.
- Writing and storytelling skills.
- Excellent collaborator who is creative.
- Relationship building and networking skills.
- Excellent English verbal and writing skills.
- Able to learn and adapt to change.
- Proven ability to multitask and exhibit excellent attention to detail while consistently following established procedures and processing transactions.
- Able to demonstrate effective problem solving.
- Proficient in General Office software: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.]
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s license and personal vehicle.*
- Able and willing to travel 10%-15% of the time.*
* The Innovation Cluster is adhering to the highest levels of standards with regards to municipal as well as Provincial health standards and at this time all meetings are done virtually via Zoom. As the province continues to open, it will be required to safely meet with clients in both Innovation Cluster offices as well as potentially the offices of clients.
Contract length: 15 months
Application deadline: 2021-02-07
Expected start date: 2021-03-01
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $57,000.00-$62,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
The Innovation Cluster is adhering to the highest levels of standards with regards to municipal as well as Provincial health standards and at this time all meetings are done virtually via Zoom.
- Temporarily due to COVID-19